Thursday, March 10, 2011

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver

Today, I started reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. My first reaction, was oh, just another book convincing me to grow locally. But already from the first chapter, I grew a sense of understanding for Ms. Kingsolver and her family. I really respected her beliefs and ideas about growing locally and leaving their old city life behind to move to the rough outskirts of southern Appalachia.. Her story about Malcom, the unaware teenager, opened my eyes and made me realize that we are all Malcoms. We are oblivious to the process of growing the food we eat everyday. As Americans we uphold a certain arrogance about our food. Should we not know what we are eating and how it is made?

I did investigate onto her website where it contained recipes (Sweet potato quesadillas, YUM!), resources to find local food and a seasonal farm tour (a brief summary of the different farming seasons):

http://www.animalvegetablemiracle.com/index.html 

All in all, I cannot wait to venture more into the book and see what Ms. Kingsolver and her family are about to endure!

1 comment:

  1. Wait til you get to the part about turkeys begetting baby turkeys and how that process no longer happens...naturally.

    I've read this and it's a good read..;

    ReplyDelete