Saturday, March 5, 2011

I want a pet! How about a pet chicken?

The other day I visited my uncle in Newnan, Georgia. He owns about ten acres with two horses,  six dogs, two cats, and a bunch of chickens. Originally, he started with just two dogs and two baby chickens, which he bought for his son and daughter to raise from the egg. Once they were grown up they were the best pets. Yes, I know that sounds weird, but its true and I found a site (http://www.backyardchickens.com/) to prove that!


But not only people who live in rural areas like my uncle can raise chickens, you can too! According to my research, you can raise up to 25 chickens in Atlanta without obtaining a permit!


But you may wonder, why on earth should I raise chickens?
Here are a few reasons, according to BackyardChickens.com:

  • Easy and inexpensive to maintain (when compared to most other pets)
  • Eggs that are fresh, great-tasting & nutritious
  • Chemical-free bug and weed control
  • Manufacture the worlds best fertilizer
  • Fun & friendly pets with personality (yes, you read that right)
Even after reading this, you may not want to raise your very own pet chicken, but just keep in mind that eggs from family raised chickens are better for you along with the chickens who lay the eggs. But whatever you do, remember eat, buy, be local! -Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment