Sunday, March 20, 2011

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle (Chapters 5-8)

I absolutely love this book! Barbara Kingsolver does an amazing job at balancing real life experiences with valuable information about the food people eat every day.

One of the most remarkable things in my opinion was the information Kingsolver presented about the tobacco industry. I had no idea that so many people relied on this industry. Farming tobacco helps many people put their children through school, make house payments, and pay numerous bills. The tobacco farmers don't always smoke, and they don't always support smoking, but it's their way of life. If the tobacco industry was to collapse one day, they would have absolutely nothing to rely on. Tobacco farming is their life. Although many people look at the tobacco industry as a bad thing, Kingsolver made me see a brand new side of it. This book didn't make me want to go out and buy a pack of cigarettes, and it definitely didn't make me a supporter of smoking, but it made me realize just how important this industry is.

The chapter "The Birds and the Bees" presented a lot of the information that we have been discussing this semester about the treatment of animals. Its nice to see that while so many factories don't care about the treatment of animals, some people are still trying their best to treat animals the right way. Lily is such an inspiring person, and she makes me want to go buy some chicks!

Another part of these chapters that I enjoyed was the recipes. My favorite was the Chicken Recuerdos de Tucon, a fresh, southwestern chicken dish.

Overall, I loved this informative book! It is definitely a must-read.

-Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment